The City of Cape Town’s draft budget for the 2017/18 financial year has been tabled in Council for public participation. From this coming week, the City will embark on several area-based community meetings across the metro to provide residents with an opportunity to give input with specific reference to their local context. The is the first draft budget which is underpinned by the City’s new way of working, called the Organisational Development and Transformation Plan (ODTP) which aims to bring greater parity of services. Read more below:
The City’s public participation meetings around the draft budget will take place from 4 to 11 April 2017 across Cape Town.
‘We are making a concerted effort to connect with our ratepayers and residents as it is incredibly important that they scrutinise the draft budget and provide us with their comments for consideration so that they can be part of our efforts to make this city even greater. We can only improve our proposals if residents provide us with additional insights. This public participation process enhances accountability by bringing government closer to the people,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Finance, Councillor Johan van der Merwe.
Once the public participation process is completed and public input is considered, it is only then taken to Council for debate and adoption in May 2017.
The dates and times for the scheduled community meetings are as follows:
• Tuesday 4 April 2017 at 19:00: Robinvale Hall, Starling Street, Atlantis (subcouncils 1, 3 and 7)
• Thursday 6 April 2017 at 19:00: Kraaifontein Civic Centre, Brighton Road, Kraaifontein (subcouncils 2, 3, 7 excluding Klipheuwel, 15 and 16)
• Wednesday 5 April 2017 at 19:00: Sidney Kuhn Civic Centre, Macassar (subcouncils 21, 22 and 8)
• Tuesday 11 April 2017 at 19:00: Khayelitsha Training Centre Auditorium (subcouncils 9, 10 and 24)
• Tuesday 4 April 2017 at 19:00: Gugulethu Indoor Sport Centre, corner of NY1 and NY2, Gugulethu (subcouncils 5, 11, 14 and 17)
• Thursday 6 April 2017 at 19:00: Parow Civic Centre, Tallent Street, Parow (subcouncils 4, 5 and 6)
• Wednesday 5 April 2017 at 19:00: Rocklands Civic Centre, Mitchells Plain (subcouncils 12, 13 and 23)
• Thursday 11 April 2017 at 19:00: Alphen Hall, Constantia (subcouncils 18, 19 and 20)
Residents can find more information on the draft budget by visiting http://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/Have-your-say/Issues-open-for-public-comment/Comment-on-our-Draft-2017-22-IDP-Corporate-Scorecard-and-2017-18-Draft-Budget